Good Shepherd Lutheran Church Scholarship Requirements
Scholarships may be awarded to applicants meeting the following requirements:
- The student is pursuing an Associate degree, Undergraduate degree, or ELCA rostered leadership* at not-for-profit public or private accredited institutions.
- The student must be enrolled in undergraduate studies or studies pursuing ELCA rostered leadership*.
- The student must be registered as a full-time student in the academic year in which the funds are allocated.
- The student must be a member of Good Shepherd Lutheran Church who is confirmed and has been actively participating in the life of the church for at least one year.
- The student must maintain a 3.0 or higher GPA while in college. Students will be expected to provide GPA verification.
- Scholarships are granted for a time period of one year. To receive subsequent awards, the student must reapply.
- No more than four one year scholarships will be awarded to anyone student. Exceptions can be made for students pursuing Lutheran ordination.
- The student must complete the application and apply in writing to “The Scholarship Fund Committee” before the established deadline in the year in which the funds are granted.
- The student must submit a brief 400-500 word essay with the initial application stating how attending college will assist the student in his/ her personal call to the chosen field of study. Signing the application grants permission for quotes from essay to be shared.
- The student must publicly thank the Good Shepherd Lutheran Church congregation and give a brief account of his/her college journey in order to receive future awards. This presentation would be in lieu of a second essay for an applicant who is re-applying for a scholarship award. Preferably, this will take place near the end of the spring term or on designated Graduation weekend.
- The student must submit a recent 4 x 6 photo of self to be posted in the narthex.
- The student must provide the address of the Finance Office that receives scholarship awards and necessary student ID to insure the award is posted to the correct account.
* ELCA rostered leadership includes all who are called by God in Word and Service and Word and Sacrament degrees through ELCA seminary education.